Thursday, October 08, 2009

Well it's been a long time coming but I'm back. I may be a little rusty at first but hell I was almost dead at one point so give me a chance to shake off some of the ring rust and I guarantee you won't be bored. There have been a lot of big changes in the Philly wrestling scene lately so I got lots of shit to talk about. So let us begin:

PWU: Kashmere rises from the dead once again. This guy has more lives then that fabled cat. Haven't been to one of his shows yet so I'll take a wait and see attitude on this one. Looks like he has some money to piss away on talent so he has a shot at making it. Time will tell.

MBA: Maven is back with his charity shows. Always entertaining and fun. It's a chance to see the CZW guys in match-ups you wouldn't necessarily see in their shows. It's a great evening out for a few bucks that go to good causes. Go check one out. What the hell else have you got to do on a weeknight or a Sunday afternoon? So get your fat ass up out of that recliner and head on down.

ALXC: American Luchacore. Those of you who missed their 1st Philly area show missed out. Sammi Calihan's promotion gave us a nice mix of CZW talent along with the guys from Chikara. Lots of entertaining stuff, including Nick Gage tearing the place up in his usual hardcore style in a match that was ended before the intermission only to start up again right in the middle of the opening match of the second half. Some great comedy stuff from Greg Excellent, Bobby Dempsey and a pizza delivery guy. And in the surprise showstopper of the afternoon: B-Boy and Sammi going at it one on one in an incredibly stiff match. Since Sammi was dealing with the death of his best friend just days before, you wouldn't have expected much. But Sammi went out there and did his friend proud and the show served as an excellent tribute to him. Starting up a new promotion in the Philly market is always tough. I think if the first show was any indicator, Philly has a new promotion to come out and support.

CZW: Ahh my home. Those of you who know me know that CZW has been my home for many years. I've been around the Dub since show number one. I've hung out in the locker room and been there for training nights at the school. I'm proud to call many of the boys friends. I spent many a long night talking with Zandig. Well now the Dub is under new ownership. The DEEJ. DJ Hyde. What do I think about that you ask. Or maybe you don't. But I'm going to fucking tell you anyway. I feel pretty goddamn good. So good in fact that I decided to stage The Bloodhound's return to writing. You see I never left CZW. Unlike some of the fair weather friends that the Dub had, I was always there. But I'll admit there were times towards the end of Zandig's reign that I was bored as hell. The life seemed to have gone out of the shows. As we all now know, John was hurting and after years of doing this his heart and creativity just weren't in this anymore. I was there the night John announced the sale of CZW to DJ. My first thought was what the hell does this mean to a promotion I'd spent a goodly portion of my life dedicated to. After the show, I went back to talk to some of the boys and to congratulate DJ. I mentioned to DJ that if he needed any help, I'd be around. I kind of expected a blow-off answer. But just the opposite. DJ treated me with open respect for the years I'd been around and said he would appreciate my help. So I went on down and spoke with DJ a week or two after. And I liked what I heard. DJ is all about making CZW grow into what it could and should be. What one of us would not like to see CZW return to the crowds it drew when it first came to Philly? Bigger crowds mean more money. More money means better paydays for the boys and more money to fly in that talent you have been asking to see. DJ's about bringing in anybody that will build the business. No personal conflicts. If it's good for CZW, then you are in. He's about opportunities. Giving the young kids or a new face that chance to get in the ring and show his worth. And he is about building the company back up again. All good aims. Let's give him support. It ain't going to be easy to get those asses back in the seats. Now let's look at what's coming up to do that.

CZW: Severed Ties: Let's begin with opportunities. Two more matches in the Wired TV Tournament to showcase the newer talent plus a tag team showcase. Always good to see the newer faces. And speaking of Tag Teams, how about The Best Around vs. The BLKOUT. Two of the best tag teams out there right now bar none. And the fun of watching Robby Mireno turn on his old friends. That will be worth the price of admission right there. Then there is Ego Fantastico against Devon Moore. A chance for the "scumbag" Devon to showcase his wrestling skills. No hardcore battle here. This has high-flying excitement written all over it. And for those of you looking for that hardcore brawl, go no further then the 6 man match-up. With Mox, Gage, Hatred, DJ, Vortekz and xOMGx, how can you get anything else. Expect the chairs to fly on this one. Grab your chairs and start running cause I wouldn't be surprised if this wound up in the crowd. Like your matches stiff? Well we got two of those. The return of the King. Yeah, Eddie Kingston has always been one stiff SOB and as I said in my section on American Luchacore, Sammi can pull it out too when pushed. And you can bet your ass, Eddie is going to push him. No question both these crazy bastards are going home hurting after their match. And of course the main event. B-Boy finally gets what he has deserved for many years. He has been there laboring for the crowd year after year. Always breaking his ass. Never seen a bad match from the guy. Always putting those asses in the seats. Throwing his body and even his teeth into the match. And yet never getting that shot at the title. Till now. And Drake. Crazy ass Drake. Shit this bastard has been cut, beaten and pounded over the space of his title reign and still come back for more. He's good but is he still hungry? Cause I know damn sure B-Boy is. He is at that turning point. Win the title and move up that ladder. The fame, the recognition and that shiny belt around his waist. That's what it's about at this stage in his career. So Drake, he is coming for you my friend. It's going to be stiff and it's going to be ugly. And when it's all over, I know who the real winner is going to be. Those of us jumping to our feet to cheer for two of the greatest competitors we've seen and the promotion who brought them together that night: C-Z -F'n-W.

Join me next week when I go howlin' and prowlin' with a look at this weekend's results and a preview of TOD: Rewind.